Dear EAUN members,
The growing evidence in urology nursing care is amazing!
With this column, the EAUN SIG Groups want to put the spotlight on recent publications in their field of interest. This month’s articles have been carefully chosen because of the scientific value from PubMed and represent different methods and approaches in research and development in urological nursing care.
We hope this initiative will have your attention and continuously provide information on “spot-on” urological nursing care. If you would like to inform us and your colleagues about new initiatives or exiting developments in one of the special interest fields you can contact us using the email addresses below.
Bente Thoft Jensen, Chair, EAUN Special Interest Group – Bladder Cancer
Stefano Terzoni, Chair, EAUN Special Interest Group – Continence
Anna Mohammed, Chair, EAUN Special Interest Group – Endourology
The bladder cancer articles below will give you a sort of overview of what bladder cancer is, the natural history, risk factors, treatment, etc. Moreover, apart from the actual treatment algorithm, a further article about the family aspect and what is means to undergo treatment for both men and woman, has been selected for you.
Selected from PubMed
- Bladder Cancer
Anderson B. Bladder cancer: overview and disease management. Part 1: non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Br J Nurs. 2018;27(9):S27-S37. doi:10.12968/ bjon.2018.27.9.S27. PMID:29749774. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29749774/
- Anderson B. Bladder cancer: overview and management. Part 2: muscle-invasive and metastatic bladder cancer. Br J Nurs. 2018;27(18):S8-S20. doi:10.12968/bjon.2018.27.18.S8. PMID:30281356. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30281356/
- Pozzar RA, Berry DL. Gender Differences in Bladder Cancer Treatment Decision Making. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2017;44(2):204-209. doi:10.1188/17. ONF.204-209. PMID:28222088. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28222088/
- The relationship between psychological and physical secondary conditions and family caregiver burden in spinal cord injury: A correlational study. Conti A, Clari M, Nolan M, et al. Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2019;25(4):271-280. doi:10.1310/sci2504-271. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31844379/
- Majeed A, Sagar F, Latif A, et al. Does antimicrobial coating and impregnation of urinary catheters prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection? A review of clinical and preclinical studies. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2019;16(9):809-820. doi:10.1080/17434440.2019.1661774. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31478395/
- Meddings J, Manojlovich M, Ameling JM, et al. Quantitative results of a national intervention to prevent hospital-acquired catheter-associated urinary tract infection: A pre-post observational study. Ann Intern Med. 2019;171(7_Suppl):S38-S44. doi:10.7326/M18-3534. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31569231/
- Mitchell BG, Fasugba O, Cheng AC, et al. Chlorhexidine versus saline in reducing the risk of catheter associated urinary tract infection: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Int J Nurs Stud. 2019;97:1-6. doi:10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.04.003. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31129443/
- Dubbs SB, Sommerkamp SK. Evaluation and Management of Urinary Tract Infection in the Emergency Department. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2019;37(4):707- 723. DOI:10.1016/j.emc.2019.07.007. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31563203/
- Clarke K, Hall CL, Wiley Z, et al. Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections in Adults: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention [published online ahead of print, 2019 Sep 18]. J Hosp Med. 2019;14:E1-E5. doi:10.12788/jhm.3292. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31532742/
- Skupin P A, Stoffel J T, Malaeb B S, et al. Robotic versus open ureteroneocystostomy: is there a robotic benefit? Published Online:15 Jul2020.https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2019.0715
- Pierce H., Goueli R., Al Hussein Al Awamlh, B., et al. Impact of body mass index on outcomes following anatomic greenlight laser photoselective vaporization of the prostate. Published Online:15 Jul 2020. https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2020.0077
- Guo J and Arellano R.S. Percutaneous microwave ablation of stage t1b renal cell carcinoma: Short-term assessment of technical feasibility, short-term oncologic outcomes, and safety.Published Online: 9 Jul 2020 https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2020.0382
- Arjan S Sehmbi A., Sridhar A.N, Sahadevan K, et al. Early outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy following completion of a structured training curriculum: A single surgeon cohort study. Journal of Clinical Urology 1-9, sage pub.com/journals-permissions DOI: 10.1177/2051415820938176. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2051415820938176